Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Beautiful Day

It was such a beautiful day, the kids and I couldn't pass up going to the Wooden Playground at Glen Oak Park (remember this blog). It's Wednesday, so Q had school until 2:30 today. We were heading down Knoxville toward the interstate when I asked Q what he thought about playing at the park. "That would be great!" he exclaimed. Thank goodness I had brought snacks for in the car. Both kids had a blast.

Q played Star Wars with a few older boys (7-9 year olds) running, climbing and jumping from here to there. Quinton was leading the older boys telling them what to do and how to do certain thing... no surprise there. He helped them pick Star Wars character names explaining each so the boys knew how to act. I couldn't help laughing to myself when I heard him tell the older boys "I can't do that guys, I'm only 4 1/2 you know." One of them offered to help him down and Q replied "No thanks. That's too dangerous." So he found an alternate route to get down off the play structure and met up with the others on the ground. I kept my distance and let Q do his own thing at the park. He was always within eye and ear shot, but he is definitely old enough to do his own thing and make his own responsible decisions. Obviously he knows his comfort zone and had no problem expressing his uncertainty. Q is quite comfortable being his own person which I love, as do his parents.

Sloan was all smiles once I parked the car and she saw the playground. She climbed up and down most of the structure and went down every slide a million times. While she was swinging, Sloan tried to talk with a little girl about her age, but the other little girl just looked at her confused. I enjoy watching little ones who are finding their voice and new words converse and interact with one another. Sloan also did the balance beam that was a good 3 feet off the ground, by side stepping and hanging on to my arms. She did great! Ms. Angie has had such a huge impact of both kids' motor skills. Q was even doing the other balance beam and them shimmied across the hanging bar wit his hands! Although I am sure he sees that as more of a 'Jedi move.'

It was such a great day. I hope we are able to go back to this park again before the big move in a couple weeks :)

1 comments:

Janelle said...

Love the update.....So proud of these kiddos and all you do with them. Thanks Nicki!