Saturday, June 12, 2010

Weekend of Surprises

Memorial weekend ended up being full of surprises! For starters, we (my parents, Matt and I) surprised my little brother by bringing the Taurus back for him. He had been hoping... wishing... praying for a car on his 16th birthday back in April, but of course didn't get one. I mean honestly, did he really think my folks would just buy him a car?!?? Kim and I both had to buy our own at that age. Since Matt bought me a new cat, I talked mom and dad into buying my Taurus below value for Billy. Matt and I made the dreaded 7 hour trip back to Southwest Iowa in separate vehicles. Although we did have fun with the 2 way radios :) Upon arriving, billy came out to greet us only to find just me.

He asked "Where's Matt?"

"He didn't come. Ended up having to work Monday" I fibbed.

"Oh" Just then Matt comes walking up the sidewalk from the far driveway at my parents' house. Billy looked so confused. We both just smiled at him.

I then proceeded to tell him, "We brought the Taurus back with us."

"Okaaaaaay?!?" He looked confused and just shrugged his shoulders as he started grabbing luggage out of my car.

"The Taurus is for you. Surprise!"

"Oh" he said and shrugged his shoulders again. I just looked at him with my eyebrows raised, then after a few seconds it sunk in what I had said. "Oooooh" and a HUGE smile spread across his face. "Thank you!"

Billy's Surprised Face?!?
(not really, just a silly picture he was tagged in on Facebook)

I hadn't been sure if my parents had kept it from him or not. Unlike my sister and I at that age, Billy doesn't have a job. I know I was busy with sports, community service, and other extra curricular activities, but Billy has way more going on than I ever did. So for now mom and dad are footing the bill for the car. That was surprise one for the weekend!

The next morning, we planned to go to a early movie in Council Bluffs. It has become a tradition to go to an early matinee because it only costs $4/person versus $6.50 for afternoon matinee or $10 in the evening. Hello, it is me we are talking about here... the Penny Pincher Queen!!! So Kim got Jayden up and out the door by 8AM so they could get to our parents by 9:00. Kim hadn't told her why they were up so early or where they were headed, nor did she know Matt and I were back. Jayden fell asleep in the car ride over so I got the joy of waking her up! I love seeing he face light up. It was probably the best part of the whole trip!

We went to Shrek 4, then headed over to the Omaha Humane Society to look at the animals that were up for adoption. This is something else we enjoy doing as a family as well. Jayden was probably three years old when we started going to shelters for an afternoon activity. She has learned to appreciate what shelters and donations can do for animals who without them would be a lost cause.

*~ Jayden with a grumpy looking cat ~*
(he was actually quite loving despite his permanent scowl)

After all that we had a late lunch then met our parents at the Bodies Exhibit. If there is ever an exhibit near you, I highly suggest you go. It is expensive, $22 for adults and $12-18 depending on you child's age. Jayden thoroughly enjoyed herself. She learned a lot not only from seeing these amazing cadavers, but also from reading about the functions of the different systems throughout our bodies.

Sunday we spent the day in Nebraska for Jayden's birthday. It was nice to get all of our running around the day before. Jayden's "step sisters" were able to come over to celebrate her big day with the rest of us. The girls showed me the tree house their dad is building for them and played catch since I was unable to see a softball game while I was back.

We made homemade egg rolls and crab rangoon. Everyone helped!! It was a random dinner consisting of Egg Rolls, Crab Rangoon, Corn on the Cob, Fruit and Brownies; Jayden prefers brownies to cake much like her Aunt Nicki! :)

As always, leaving the next morning was hard to do. We are never able to make it back for very long so it is sad when we have to leave. We swung by my parents to dig up some ferns to bring back, as well as go to lunch with them. The ride back was a lot easier and enjoyable since Matt and I were able to ride together. We had a wonderful time seeing my family, but it was also nice to get back home.

0 comments: