Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Potty Party

We have had a number of "Potty Parties" in the S house the past couple days. Sloan is being potty trained and doing AWESOME!!! Don't get me wrong she has sat on the potty a few times over the past three or four months, but never showed an interest. After talking, Janelle and I decided this would be the week for no diapers around the house. I think I feared the worst, because Q was so easy and going potty on a regular basis around 18 months. Not to mention, up to this point Sloan definitely wanted nothing to do with it.

Man has she proved me wrong! Yesterday was the first day. She went potty with me as soon as I got here (my bladder is always ready to burst after the drive up). The diaper came off and didn't go back on until nap/bedtime. She had only one accident but otherwise went on the potty when she needed to go. Yes people, she knew when she had to go and would run in without any reminders. Only exception to that was before and after nap, as well as before we left the house for whatever reason... getting the routine started now, just like with Quinton for those particular times of day. Today Sloan did even better!!! Yes, there were still a couple accidents, one with the #2, but she realized she was going and rushed to the pot to finish. Today I only asked her once to go try.

The best part about Sloan going potty is how excited she gets. You can see in her eyes how proud she is of herself. Just sitting there concentrating and serious. Then once she feels herself going Sloan's face lights up. A big cheesy grin spreads across her face followed by "Yaaaaaay!" Sloan loves to wipe herself. She'll tell us "My do" every time she wants to do something for herself. Afterward a special treat (not every time) as a reward. I know I tell her multiple times throughout the day, as do mom and dad, how proud we are of her, but seeing her react to her own accomplishments makes this milestone that much better!

Quinton is also very proud of his sister. I think at first he was just excited to get a special treat too, for her accomplishment, but now he enjoys the celebration itself. He has been very supportive and helpful these past couple days. Holding a door, running upstairs to grab a new pair of pants, even helping Sloan wash her hands (explaining step by step how and why we wash the way we do) after the deed is done! Check out proud Big Bother below with his super cool summer haircut :)

I am so proud of both kids and their accomplishments. Once Quinton gets another one or two checked off his summer list (yes, he has a list of some major things he wants to learn this summer), there will be a post, probably a long one, to share with you all.

1 comments:

Nicki said...

Thats awesome! Its always fun to see little kids being amazed at what they can do as they get bigger! By the way, I love your soundtrack!