Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Someone Must Be Watching

I figure that someone must be watching me from above and getting a kick out of seeing me gag on a weekly basis. For the second week in a row, Sloan has managed to test my gag reflex and the power within me to hold my lunch. The majority of adults have seen, dealt with, or heard tales of a blowout. If you do not know what this is I'll educate you now.

If you have a baby or care for young children as I do, a blowout is expected from time to time when a child is still in diapers. Last week was kind of a rough one for Sloan in the BM department. Due to teething, not feeling well and the heat she had some major rank diapers going on. Last Thursday was no exception to these disastrous bombs she brought down on everyone within the house. It was another hot and steamy day so Q and I decided to fill up water balloons . . . who could forget Water Balloon Baseball?! I pulled Sloan's high chair into the kitchen while she finished a late lunch so I could keep an eye on her as well as keep her entertained. Q and I heard the grunts . . . we heard the noises from below . . . and then came the SMELL!!! I knew it was going to be horrid, but figured I'd give her another five minutes to finish up. No need to use two diapers. Perhaps that was a mistake. I turned around to get her out and saw that she was covered in what I thought was food. Yes, you read correctly I thought it was food. Poor baby had it come out the back, the front, both leg holes of the diaper. It wrapped around her body, the cute little pink striped shirt was now mandarin orange colored . . . and that "food" on her face was actually pooh!! This my friends was no blowout, it was in fact an EXPLOSION!!! I'll spare you any more details on this particular day, but will tell you it took nearly an hour to get Sloan cleaned up, the tub sanitized, the high chair dismantled (she managed to cover every strap too) & sanitized, and throw the soiled clothes/high chair parts into the washing machine. I will admit while trying to get her clothes removed a few dry heaves sneaked up on me. At the time I was a ball of nerves, but by the time I got home to tell Matt my tale it was starting to become humorous.

That was last week. Now for today . . . Sloan is still not feeling quite herself. Don't get me wrong she's an extremely happy little girl even when she's sick. Exactly like her brother. But her balance has been a little off these past couple days. It was a gorgeous day out, in the low 70's with a nice breeze. We headed to Glen Oak Park for a picnic and some playground fun. There were a lot of kids for Q to play with and the side walk made it easier for Sloan to walk around. We had just started pulling away from the curb on our way home, when Sloan cranked out a huge burp. I looked back just in time to see her burp again with lunch in full pursuit. Within a few short seconds she was covered in vomit. I immediately rolled down the windows trying to keep Quinton and myself from enduring the same fate. I had a small thin blanket that I keep in the bag to lay across picnic tables which was used to get the major chunks off the poor girl. I felt horrible making her sit there covered in vomit until we got home, but I had no choice. It was all over her and her seat. Dry heaving the whole way home and listening to Quinton continually shriek "Oh my gosh, it sticks. Oh, it disgusting. I hope I don't puke (heard that from me so of course he repeated it again and again). I am holding my nose." Just like last week, Q was a pretty big help holding the door open for me as I rushed Sloan inside arms length away all while holding my breath for what seemed like an eternity. Nasty pooh I can handle, however, vomit is a whole other story. I was gagging left and right as I bathed Sloan and rinsed her clothes. I was able to take a quick break while reading her a couple books before lying her down for nap. But returned to the horrid mess as I disassembled her car seat. The car seat was not cooperating and it took me nearly 45 minutes to get is disassembled. I kept my shirt over my face to buffer the bile smell that sent my stomach churning. Eventually, everything was thrown in the wash and I was able to sit down and relax with Q. A little BoomBlox fun on the Wii was well deserved after all that.

Needless to say, my days are usually eventful for one reason or another. Usually it is full of fun things the kids and I do or silly things Quinton says. But every once in a while I'll have a day (or two) where a major catastrophe occurs, only to find humor in the matter later on.

Janelle, you were right, I had to blog about it. I wasn't planning on it, until today's occurrence. After having two days within a week of such nerve racking occurrences, I figured I must share. After all, someone up there is getting a little entertainment from all this. I know I would :)

0 comments: