Monday, February 1, 2010

Newest Little Addition!

Our little family grew by one this weekend. Her name is Lyra and she is 4 months old. Matt and I were not planning on getting another dog. Honestly two WAS our limit. Then my sister called saying they had a FREE white female pit bull. Apparently the person who bought her ($450) in December didn't have time for her. She basically was living in a small kennel. They realized it wasn't fair to her so instead of trying to sell her they were just giving her away. Matt has always wanted a pit bull (mixes apparently don't count; poor Halo) of his very own so it was up to him whether we agreed to take on another responsibility or not. Matt asked for a picture to be sent before he made his decision. Once we got the text, Matt of course replied "That's my dog?! She's mine! I want her... tell them I say YES!!"

With that answer we thought it would be a couple weeks before we actually got Lyra. My mom was/is planning on coming out mid February so we figured that's when she'd come home. You know, allow me some time to get puppy food and other necessities. If you know my sister she is very spontaneous so with a phone call Sunday morning announcing they were on their way to Illinois I was a bit shocked. Matt and I both had to work this morning so I didn't understand why they'd drive 7 1/2 hours from Nebraska to stay only one night. Honestly I still don't understand why they made the trip, but I am glad they did.

Road trip to Illinois!

I was mainly thrilled to see some of my family; Kim, Jayden, Billy and Will all came out. Matt was happy to get a birthday gift. Yes the dog was free, but all her vaccinations, heart-worm preventatives, and getting her spade is NOT! Xena and Halo are doing okay with the new puppy. Today it is setting in that she isn't going anywhere. Xena growls and is very vocal with Lyra letting her know her place. Halo on the other hand is depressed. At first she was excited about the playmate, but after the puppy set the couch alarm (keeps dogs off the furniture) off a couple times today she is now scared that Lyra will make it go off again. Basically, Halo is staying as far away from her as possible. Poor baby. Matt and I have made it a point to sit on the floor and give all doggies lovin's. Xena and Halo will learn to love just as we will. It takes time. Bringing a new baby home is hard for the other kids you know ;)

0 comments: