Saturday, January 23, 2010

Movie Night

Tonight I went into Peoria and watched the kiddos for a few hours while mom and dad went on a much needed night out. It is so great to be greeted at the door by Q's smiling face and hear Sloan repeatedly yelling "Hi Nit-tee" waving from her booster seat. Both kids were already decked out in their comfy pajamas and were eating ice cream when I arrived. We had a movie night which is usual if I watch them in the evening on weekends. Q requested Little Mermaid 2. You may think this is an odd request for a boy, but the "mean witches" as he calls them are his favorite. Obviously Ursala made quite the impression on him in the first Little Mermaid for him to want to watch Morgana in the second. Sloan even sat up on the couch quietly for a good 10 minutes before she started bothering big brother :) Sloan and I spent most of our time in the playroom cooking, talking to each other on the phones, and playing musical instruments; while Quinton watched the movie in the family room. He had a million questions about what was going to happen next in the movie and why this person lied or that person stole. I love how inquisitive he is about most things; always wanting to understand everything in full. I think this is why his vocabulary and cognitive development is and always has been so good. His questions have always been addressed no matter what they are.

Speaking of development, I need to go back earlier in the evening before mom and dad left. Sloan was inquiring about gymnastics. Not sure what made her think of it, maybe they had been talking about it earlier in the day or maybe she knew something was up since we missed gymnastics Friday due to Q being home sick from school. Regardless, she was nodding her head and asked "Angie?" Of course making sure I understood her correctly I said "Ms. Angie?" and Sloan nodded her head "Yeah." Then she went on to say "Ropes" although it doesn't sound exactly like that, I knew what she was saying (I've heard it enough). Apparently that's what the little one was thinking about. I asked her if she liked swinging on the rope at Ms Angie and she nodded "Yeah". That is all that was said about it the rest of the night but it was fun having this little conversation with her that I actually knew exactly what she was saying without making her repeat herself a few times. Sloan is growing up so fast I can't believe it! Both kids are :)

So needless to say we had a good night. Watched a movie, read a couple books to each child, and to bed they went without any trouble. I hope their bedtime routine will be this easy once they move to Morton. It will probably take a couple weeks, but you never know, they just might surprise us all :)

0 comments: